Pointe Coupee Parish offers many historical places that you might want to visit while staying at False River Hideaway.
(Map courtesy of Pointe Coupee Tourism)
For more information on Pointe Coupee Parish, its history and other interesting facts, visit http://pctourism.org
Pointe Coupee Parish is surrounded by many things for your discovery while staying at False River Hideaway.
Follow the links listed below
for many other things to see and do.
Here are a few places of
interest from the
Pointe Coupee Office of Tourism.
Pointe Coupee Parish Courthouse - 215 E. Main St., New Roads - Original section built in 1902 of Romanesque Revival architecture; annex added in 1939-1940; building listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Place de la Crois (Square of the Cross) - W. Main St., New Roads - Public square first mentioned in the 1850s, Union campground in January 1865.
Pointe Coupee Parish Museum - 8448 False River Dr. (LA Hwy 1) near Hwy 78, New Roads - First stage of building took place circa 1800 and second stage circa 1840. Period furnishings and exhibits, tourist information. Phone 225-638-7788. Open 10am-3pm daily except major holidays.
St. Mary's Cemetery - Bounded by New Roads, E. Fifth & Court St. - Cemetery opened in 1865 and contains graves of Confederate veterans. Phone 225-638-9665.
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church - 9795 LA Hwy 418, Innis - Completed in 1859 and consecrated by Bishop Leonidas Polk. Oldest church building in Pointe Coupee Parish. Cemetery includes monument to Confederate veterans of Pointe Coupee. Phone 225-492-2234.
Parlange Plantation Home - False River Dr. (LA Hwy 1) near Hwy 78, New Roads - One of the most noted antebellum homes with great example of Creole architecture. Magnificent furnishings and gardens. Phone 225-638-8410, tours by apointment, admission.
St. Francis Chapel - 10364 Pointe Coupee Rd., New Roads - Built in 1895, replacing churches of 1738 and 1760, contains furnishings and artifacts from 1760 church. Phone 225-638-9665, tours by appointment.
Poydras Monument - 500 W. Main St., New Roads - Monument erected in 1891 over transferred remains of Julien Poydras, noted Louisiana statesman, educator, philanthropist and poet who died in 1824. Phone 225-638-9792 or 225-638-3800.
St. Augustine Catholic Church - 809 New Roads St., New Roads - Established in 1923 as the first African American Catholic Church in Pointe Coupee. School built in 1924. Phone 225-638-7553.
First Methodist Church - 206 Pennsylvania St., New Roads - Established 1904. Phone 225-638-3910, tours by appointment.
El Dorado Plantation - Hwy 77, between Livonia and Maringouin - Reputed site of last surrender of Confederate troops to Federals in entire war in 1865.
White Hall Plantation - 17523 Hwy 418, Lettsworth - Home of general, state senator and Simmesport founder, Bennett Barton Simmes. Headquarters of Union General Nathaniel Banks during May 1863 battle for nearby Port Hudson. Phone 504-378-4320.
Lower Chenal - LA Hwy 416, Glynn - Once the channel of the Mississippi River Union troops burned commercial steamboat "Hope" in 1863. Remains are said to lie in this waterway.
St. Stephen's Episcopal Cemetery - 9795 LA Hwy 418, Innis - Graves of Confederate soldiers and monument to Confederate veterans of Pointe Coupee, erected 1901.
St. Mary's Catholic Church - 348 W. Main St., New Roads - Built in 1904-1907, tower completed 1929. Phone 225-638-9665, tours by appointment.